- Hold a valid Private Pilot’s Licence.
- Hold a valid Night Rating.
- Hold a valid class 1 medical certificate.
- Hold a valid general certificate of proficiency in radiotelephony.
- Must have completed no less than:
- 50hrs navigation as pilot-in-command
- 40hrs instrument flight training under instruction of which 20hrs may be in an approved flight simulator.
Privileges and Limitations of an instrument rating
(61.15.5) The holder of a valid instrument rating may:
- Act, within the limitation of his/her pilots licence and particular instrument rating, as pilot of an aircraft in compliance with IFR and under IMC, by day or by night, and
- Carry out approaches and landings under IMC with the aid of approved approach aids and procedures.